Monday, April 27, 2009

It makes me sad

It makes me so very sad to see parents arguing with their children. Yes, it is one thing to disagree as well as to put kids on point when they mess up. I am referring to no holds barred yelling and fighting.

This morning on my way to work I passed a car with a father and young daugher just outside of Nathan and Matthew's school. We were running just on time so by the time I saw them I am sure they were late. The father was yelling at what looked like the top of his lungs at his daughter. She was younger than Matthew so I am guessing she is at the elementary school next door. Poor thing was in tears. I can only imagine how her school day has gone this morning.

Then just a little bit further down the road I was at a stop light and looked across the intersection to see another car with a mother/daughter argument in process. The mom was on her cell phone AND was yelling then reached over and hit her daughter three times. And it was not just a light tap either. The daughter looked to be high school age and had a look on her face like this was business as usual.

I know we all get frustrated as parents. I know I certainly had my days. However, I simply cannot imagine having a KNOCK DOWN DRAG OUT in the car (much less on a cell phone and driving) on my way to school with my kids.

And we wonder why some kids are not doing well in school...

This bothered me all the way to work. Made me sad. Thankfully I have a very good relationship with my boys. I pray it stays that way.

P.S. Yes, I guess I could look at it from the other side. Maybe the kids did something to get on their parent's last nerve. Maybe the highschooler did drugs or wrecked the car...but still, do you really have to SCREAM and HIT?

No comments: