Sunday, August 31, 2008

Driver's in South Carolina!

Those of you that know me know that I abhor parents that allow their children out of their car seats while in a moving car. Have they not seen and heard of all the instances in which kids are killed in car accidents because they were not buckled up?? Much more, it is the LAW in SC to be buckled up...most of all children. This is my biggest peeve about SC drivers.

Yesterday as I was out running errands I had a woman in a LARGE black Mercedes (you know the one the screams "Look at me!) come into my lane. No blinker. No hint at coming over. Thank God I was paying attention. I swerved a bit and honked my horn. So what does she do when we got the to the stop light? Looks in her rear view at me like it is my fault THEN she turns on her blinker. Oh my gosh! Grrrrrr

Then what is it with people not stopping for pedestrians? If not the law, isn't it common courtesy to do such things? I was at two different stores yesterday that required me to walk across the lot to the store. Cars did not stop for me. Not just one car but about 10. They all drove by. To make matters worse. A woman was pushing a elderly woman in a wheel chair directly across from me. They did NOT stop for her either. She started to cross the traffic so I did at the same time. I ended up walking SLOWLY to make the cars stop to allow them to cross the traffic safely. Probably not the smartest thing I could have done but I was ticked. What is it with these drivers that they do not even stop for someone in a wheel chair???

Clearly people are no longer paying attention or perhaps even care. These people, however, were NOT on their cell phones....they were just not noticing the human kind around them.

Just when I thought it was the way things were to be yesterday, my last errand of the day also required me to walk across the parking lot and traffic. And much to my pleasant surprise, I saw a man allow a woman to take a parking space instead of taking it for himself. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things but it gave me hope that there are some decent and kind South Carolina drivers out there on the roads with me.

No comments: