Sunday, August 17, 2008

Olympics and sports greatness....

Last weekend I got into a discussion with a friend about the greatest sports moments. His was the 1980 Olympics when US Hockey beat Russia. Since I can honestly remember watching it I had to agree with him. (Note that I do NOT possess that gene that allows me to recall all details about sports events so for me to remember US Hockey is a big deal.) We pondered various other sports greats and their feats....but we could not seem to come up with one better than 1980.

After seeing Michael Phelps and the US Mens Swim Team smoke the Olympics this week I have to wonder if in 25 years people will be putting Phelps with 8 gold into the same category as Mike Eruzione and his team of wonder dogs. I enjoyed watching Phelps swim this week but I did not get the same feeling as when I cheered for US Hockey or even the Atlanta Braves during the World Series in 1991. That full bore cheering at a sports event is awesome.....you know the kind that makes the hair on your arms stand up and your voice hoarse from screaming! :)

What do you think is one of sports greatest moments or players? Jackie Robinson? Michael Jordan?

P.S. Can I just say that Dara Toress rocks the pool at 41? Good for her!

No comments: