Monday, September 8, 2008

Aussie Rules Football

My co-worker, Ranjan, and his wife Gay took me to an Aussie Rules Football game yesterday afternoon. (Same day I arrived and only 2 hours after I got to hotel. Reads as: Am I really up for this after 32 hours of travel?)

'Footy' is a BIG deal here. The playoffs started last week so I got to see a playoff between the ranked 1 and 4 teams. Geelong v. St. Kilda.

Let me say that Aussie Rules is football on steroids and drugs. A bright red football but not pigskin, round field, VERY different rules and point calculation and lots of action. I really enjoyed it. Tickets are much cheaper here so the crowds are large and full of spunk. The players are TOUGH - NO pads, definite injuries, no sleeves and short shorts during a winter sport!

The Geelong Cats kicked St. Kilda's back sides 119 - 61. 6 points for a goal, 1 point for a 'behind'. The main ref starts the quarter by literally spiking the football in the center of the field....almost like a tip off in a basketball game. This can also occur if there is a stand off during play....almost like a drop kick in soccer. And very interestingly the side ref can 'throw' the ball in from the side with his back turned to the players (VERY much like a bride turning her back to throw her bouquet the ref throws the football into the playing field). The pic below shows it. I hope you can see it clearly. And check out our seats! Stadium holds 100,000...I was tickled we had such awesome seats.

I really enjoyed the game despite the crazy Melbourne weather. In the course of three hours it went from sunshine and warm to steady rain to sunshine to rain again. I was actually thankful for the rain as it kept me awake!!!

Amazingly enough in today's paper there was a nice pull-out on Aussie Rules Football starting in the U.S. There are already 45 clubs in 26 states which have all evidently been started by Aussie migrants. I could see this taking off in some areas of the states. I would definitely go to a game again.

P.S. On a side note, the Carolina Panthers game is on tv tonight. Who would have thought that Aussies would be interested in the Panthers???!?!?

1 comment:

Desmond said...

Sounds like a great experience.

....upon clicking on the picture, you can clearly see the ref about to throw the ball backwards overhead. Excellent photo shot and description.