Monday, September 15, 2008

Interesting things I noticed in Australia

As you well know other countries are different from the US in regards to their culture and simply their every day life. I have been surprised by several things during my stay here. here are a few observations and I hope some of them make you laugh or intrigue you:

  • They show naked backsides (men and women!) on the evening news. And not the 11 p.m. edition but the dinner time edition.

  • Bongs are sold right next to children's toy stores. I have no idea if pot is legal here but this one store was dedicated to smoking. Pipes, rolling papers and bongs in the window. It was next door to a 'Hello Kitty' market.

  • Not everyone says 'G'Day Mate'. However, they do say 'No worries' alot.

  • I passed an Asian restaurant and it smelled of dead skunk. I am NOT kidding. I stopped quickly to look at menu but it was all in another language. Skunk HAD to be on there.

  • Tipping for meals is not necessary and in some places frowned upon. They evidently make a decent wage. Unforunately, I noticed this impacts service a bit. (I don't think I would tip for the skunk....)
  • There are no pennies in the Australian currency. They round down or up your total to the next 5 cents. There is a line on the receipts labeled 'rounding'.
  • In Syndey, they pay construction workers $50k (AUS) per year and they have homeless people turning the jobs down because they make more on unemployment.
  • Politicians are called 'polies' and they refer to Bill Clinton as Bubba Clinton. Evidently they don't ALWAYS refer to him this way but this one news show must have said it 10 times in 30 minutes. I did not realize he was so popular here.
  • 'Gas Bagging' is chit chatting or gabbbing. I love that phrase!
  • And finally, 'sledgeing' (not sure if I got the spelling right) is the same as trash talking. There is plenty of that in the footy and rugby games here...and I know Matthew ended up with a broken thumb after some sledgeing this summer!

Bye Melbourne. I have enjoyed it but I am ready to get home to South Kakilacky! : )

No comments: