Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Southern Indian Food

Okay....so I am a born and bred Southerner but somehow Southern Indian food is not completely my cup of tea.

Today for lunch we went to a little place called Nila that specifically is authentic Southern Indian. We started out with Roti - a buttermilk based bread that is rolled flat - think crepe flat. It is served with 3 dips that were not too too spicy and rather tasty. That I could eat and would definitely eat again.

Ranjan ordered something called Kotthu Roti for me. It is the same bread chopped up finely with chicken, onions and who knows what else. It was what I call a slow burn. You taste a little spice the first few bites then it gradually has an after burn. Not too terribly hot but I knew my bland Southern girl tummy would not take too much of it so I stopped eating. It was an interesting combination of flavors but it was not for me. I felt bad that I left more than half my plate. Ranjan packed it up for his dogs. He said they would love it. They must have cast iron stomachs after eating curry in his house. Humm...I do not think my little Miss Sophie would fair too well on Southern Indian food.

I am certainly glad that I branched out and tasted it. Ranjan said that now he knows what NOT to order for me next time in Aussie land. lol Bring on the Roti but ditch the Kotthu! haha

Note: As we were paying Ranjan pointed out the buttermilk dough to me. Very sticky looking balls of dough. Guess where it was....underneath the stove just about 5 inches from the floor and not covered. That disturbed me a little.

No comments: