Sunday, September 14, 2008

Some time in the rolling hills of Australia

Saturday I took a tour bus to Healesville. It is two hours north of the city. Amazing how different it looks. Check out the pics.

This is a daffodil farm. Evidently the climate is perfect here for not only growing grapes but also for daffodils and tulips.


We stopped for lunch at one of the dozens of wineries in the area. Yummy lunch and of course yummy wine and you know I don't drink much wine!! I met people from Minnesota here on business and from Sidney and Perth, Australia. The grape vines have just been pruned back in preparation for Spring growth.


And now for my favorite part of the day. The Healesville Animal Sanctuary. Only animals from Australia are here. It was a completely natural area....NOT like a concrete jungle that some zoos are...pebble paths, indeginous plants... We had a very informative tour guide that really made it great. Unfortunately I was a bit misled - we were not able to pet ANY animal. It is not that kind of place. It is all about preserving the species here. Here are a few of my favorite pics.




Red Kangaroo. Very sleepy fellow....or gal. Even the tour guide says it is hard to tell. And the roo below was a totally cool cat. I am thinking it had to be a male as he had this look like 'I am a stud. I know it. Ladies come get me.' lol


Koala. These little guys sleep ALL the time...literally like 20 hours of the day. They eat the other 4 hours. Tour guide says they sleep in the eucalyptus tree and have very thick hineys so they can withstand sleeping on the hard branches for so many hours. Humm...do you think that is what they meant by having 'junk in the trunk??' ;)

I think this is some type of wallabee. Grrr..cannot remember. It was just in the wide open area. I could have touched him he was so close.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Harper (aka Hopper) is excited that you got to see a kangaroo! She thinks he might be too big to fit in your suitcase though.

AND, I've decided that in my next life, I want to come back as a koala.